Yoga comes from the Sanskrit root “yuj” which means “to join”, “to yoke”, or “to unite”.
In essence, the practice of yoga joins the mind, body, and spirit for one of the most rewarding forms of
exercise. Here are eight benefits that come with consistent practice of yoga.
1. Exercise makes you tired, which helps you fall asleep easier.
- Since yoga requires a retreat into your mind as well as focusing on your body, both the body and
the mind should be tired enough to fall asleep easier.
2. Helps you become more flexible/strong.
- It does not matter if you can touch your toes or not - everyone starts somewhere. Flexibility is
something learned, and yoga stretches you physically and mentally.
3. The emphasis on breathing practice and meditation helps with anxiety coping skills.
4. Affects mood by altering the levels of the neurochemical gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
Low levels of GABA have been linked to anxiety and depression; heightened levels can improve
mood and decrease anxiety.
5. Meditation decreases activity in the limbic system, which is responsible for many of the emotions
we have. Less emotional reactivity means that you are more apt to face a stressful situation in a
more even-keeled way.
6. In addition to therapy, yoga can be used to treat PTSD - the practice of deep, regulating breathing
helps panic attack symptoms and can activate the parasympathetic nervous system to calm your
nerves and even out the .
7. Improves balance - not just in yoga poses, but in everyday life (walking up the stairs, leaning
down to pick something up) - also improves overall performance in athletics.
8. Improves overall brain functioning - stimulates areas of the brain responsible for
(neuroplasticity), attention to detail, attention to the body in general, and motivation.
If you’re interested in learning yoga or how to better your mental health, consider our week long yoga
retreat in Costa Rica with us at Columbia EMDR. Psychotherapist Ginger Poag and yoga teacher/Reiki
master Daphne McIntosh will be leading you.
We are here for you!
Click the link below to find out more: